Tuesday, April 19, 2011

((You'll Find That Life Is Still Worthwhile If You Just Smile))



During my time in the Miss America Organization (yes, I DO want world peace.  You don't even need to ask.), I had the opportunity to speak with kids, educators and administrators all over central Illinois.  One of the exercises I did with the students involved a mirror.

We talked about respecting yourself and respecting others, and with that- I mentioned the importance of smiling.  I would have a student make a "mean" face (i.e., frowning, scowling, etc.), then I would have the student look in the mirror.  "If you saw this face coming toward you in the hallway, how would you feel?" I would ask.  In a chorus of voices, the kids would respond, "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad."  (That chorus is sort-of like when you ask a kid ANY question in Sunday school, and all the kids say together, "JEEEEEESSSSSSUUUUUUS!"   Even if the answer you're looking for is bathtub or something equally boring.)

Then, I'd do the same exercise but I'd have the student smile.  The kids would giggle and clap every time as I had the student look at him- or herself in the mirror.  "So, how would you feel if THIS face was coming toward you in the hallway?" I'd ask.  "Good/happy/nice," were the general thoughts voiced by the students.

Maybe, as adults, we should all be required to go through this exercise at the beginning of our day. 

Last Friday, after the announcement of the Top3 at WIBI's Carlinville station, I was exhausted.  I drove from Carlinville to Morrisonville High School, where my parents are educators.  I sat down in my mom's classroom.  I was worn out.  I leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes.

My mom quickly grabbed a chair and sat down next to me.  "Lexie!" she exclaimed.  "You need to smile at these kids!  They voted for you, and they're so excited that you're here today!"

I sat up in my chair feeling embarrassed.  I'd let my selfishness get in the way of shining my light.  I made it a point to walk around the school, smiling at the students as I wandered around looking for my dad (yes, I'm a teacher's kid, so wandering around comes with the territory). 

I guess I need to practice that exercise a little bit more.  Frowning is so not as pretty as smiling.  So, I need to step it up and smile!  I've been told you'll never know whose day you might brighten just by smiling at them! 

So, that's my challenge to you today.  Smile. 
You never know who you'll encourage :)

In His Love,
Lex <3

P.S.  If you haven't voted yet, please visit www.wibi.org/contestants and vote for LEXIE!  Also, please share this link with anyone and everyone you know!  Help me NOT get voted off on Friday morning!

2 comments:

  1. Huh! I never really thought about it. Thanks! I have to work on this, especially because I tend to turn away when I smile. Not sure why, but I do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete