Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thoughts On Being A Princess... HIS Princess

 With one of my pageant friends, Lisa Sauter, after a Miss Indiana Pageant

A few days ago, I received some words of concern about my "princess-ness".  I thought I'd post my response on my blog, as I've also posted it on my Facebook fan page.

One individual reported concern about my joking about crowns, tiaras and all-things princess.  I wanted to tell you a little bit more about why I joke so much about being a princess.  Here is my response to the concern:

"I noticed the comment you'd left, and I just wanted to let you know what that was all about.

I'm sure, at Mt. Vernon, you heard me talk about my time in the Miss America Organization when I was younger. Frequently, any time we could get our hands on a crown or tiara (plastic, paper, foam or whatever), my younger sister and I would do a "mock" crowning. The purpose of this crowning was to be as cheesy and silly as we possibly could be, all in fun, to emulate the silliness we'd seen in the pageants we'd attended and competed in.

The individual you saw holding the crown over my head in Mt. Vernon was, in fact, my younger sister. We were just being silly. And, we also did the "mock crownings" with the secretary of my work, my cousin who drove in from Kansas City, Missouri and little girls who came up for autographs and hugs after the performance.

Pageants were a big part of my life, but it wasn't about the pageants, crowns or fancy clothes. It was about God being able to use my experiences to touch and speak to other people. That's why I was involved in the pageant world. Not for me, but for Him. And He used it on multiple occasions. And I'm so thankful for those experiences and the individuals I was able to meet because of them.

In addition, I had severely low self-esteem as a young person that carried into my early adult years. At school I was made fun of and called ugly, and that left some pretty nasty emotional scars.

God has worked on my heart so much in the last several years. He has shown me that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made". That I am a work of art. A masterpiece. I am beautiful.

And I am HIS princess.

So, to me, the crown represents His light. I'm outgoing and loud and excitable. I've been told that I'm "sparkly". So, we use the crown to get the attention of individuals so that they can hear HIS message.

So, I apologize that the wrong impression was given. It was just my family and I having some fun and enjoying each others' company. We love each other, and we absolutely LOVE to laugh.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you continue to follow my fan page!
Have an amazing and blessed day :)

From one princess to another,
Lexie
Jeremiah 29:11"
 
 I hope you'll understand that we are ALL children of God.  He has created us each for a unique and special purpose.

One of the things He has created ME for is to show other girls that they, too, are His princesses.

As I mentioned in my response, I fell victim to severely low self-esteem.  And I know I am not alone in this battle.  Young women around the world are dealing with similar situations.  Similar self-hatred.

I'd like to see that changed.  And I'd like to be apart of that change.

I hope you'll join me in BEING the change we'd like to see.  Please remind ALL of the young women in your life that they, too, are His princesses.

And they're beautiful.

In His (Royal) Love,
Lex <3

No comments:

Post a Comment