Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Humbled and Blessed (I Made the Top 4!)

We did it!
I've made it to the final 4 contestants for WIBI's Opening Act competition this year. 
And it was absolutely unexpected.
Let me tell you about my trip...  ((But first, make your way over to my fan page by clicking HERE, and click "Like" to become a fan!!))

My little sister, Kirsten, and I left on Friday night to make our way down to Mt. Vernon, Illinois for the Semi-Final event the next evening.  I needed to be to Central Christian Church by 9 a.m., so we made the decision to stay at a very lovely establishment (and by very lovely, I'm being completely sarcastic... But that's another story for another time...) the night prior to the competition.  We chatted and held various dance parties on our road trip, arriving late in the evening Friday.  After checking in, we spent the time before bed chatting, laughing and exchanging performing tips. 

Saturday morning, I started to head to the church.  And it started snowing.  Needless to stay, I knew the day would be an interesting one!  Upon arriving, I was able to spend time with the other 6 Semi-Finalists and G.W.'s (WIBI's Promotions Director) four super cute kids!  We had a blast exploring the church and drawing pictures with the kids.  At one point, we were involved in some pretty serious games of Tic-Tac-Toe (I lost, in case you're wondering.  Apparently I am not, in fact, smarter than a fourth grader...). 

I had such a great time with each of the contestants on Saturday.  I had the opportunity to talk with each individually prior to that day, but it was so amazing getting to know each of them better as we found things to do around the church!  Crystal and I had a pretty fabulous photo shoot with the kids at one point while the Mark Roach Band was doing sound check early in the day.  Here are a few photos:

 Semi-Finalist, Tim, realized he'd forgotten to trim his fingernails, so Semi-Finalist, Camee, filed them for him during The Mark Roach Band's sound check.
 Semi-Finalist, Crystal, and I during our photo shoot with Miss Mackenzie
With Devin and Semi-Finalist, Crystal, during our photo shoot with the kids

When Addison Road arrived, I was so nervous!  The other contestants knew I am a huge Addison Road fan and thought it was pretty funny to see me star-struck as I met the band's lead singer, Jenny!  She was gorgeous in sweats and no make-up, and she laughed when I told her I was nervous to meet her.  Addison Road's sound check had a few technical difficulties, but that gave us more time to bond as contestants and with the band members of The Mark Roach Band and the guys of Addison Road!

As it got closer to time for the competition to start, reality set in.  By the end of the evening, we'd have to say good-bye to three contestants.  We'd gotten so close through this experience that it was really difficult to think about that!  But, we were able to laugh with and encourage each other before the competition- especially due to the show being delayed!  I had fun goofing around backstage with the other contestants, Craig Norrenberns (G.W.'s assistant) and Melody and Jeremiah from A Positive Start to Your Morning with Melody and Jeremiah!

 With Semi-Finalists Camee, Kaitlin and Crystal
 Goofing around with Semi-Finalists Tabitha, Tim and Crystal
Semi-Finalist, Tim, decided he wanted to be a princess too.  But then he changed his mind...

When the show finally started, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace.  I was so excited!  I couldn't wait to get out on stage and see all the amazing individuals who had decided to come and cheer us on!  My family had decided to wear tiaras and carry glow wands so that I would see them in the audience.  And see them, I did!  It was such a great experience chatting with Jeremiah on stage about being a princess and then having the opportunity to perform my song, Rain Down, LIVE with The Mark Roach Band!  The audience was incredibly supportive and encouraging, and I'll never forget the feeling emotions I experienced while waving to the audience when I finished the last note.  It was exhilarating!  

Singing my song, Rain Down, with The Mark Roach Band
After finishing my song

The rest of the competition flew by, and the other contestants and I left backstage intermission to say hello to our friends, families and audience attendees!  We had the chance to take pictures, sign autographs and mingle!

 Miss Emma Carter came to be part of my cheering section!  Her dad, Blake, is the pastor of Hope Church, my home church, in Springfield, Illinois!  The Carter family is such a blessing to me!
 Signing autographs in the lobby
 Two of the awesome guys from Semi-Finalist Tim Sprinkle's youth group
Hanging with the little girl who was "Shaking it for Jesus" (her words) during the Addison Road concert!

After Addison Road gave their AMAZING performance, we, as contestants, were called backstage.  We gathered together to pray, and then Jeremiah called us back on stage to announce the Top 4 Finalists moving on in WIBI's Opening Act: Made to Worship competition this year.  We joined hands and smiled at each other, knowing very well that we had all done our very best and God had been given all glory.  Jeremiah took forever (as usual) to announce the Top 4.  
 
 A fan captured the moment just before the first announcement!
 
First, Camee was called as a finalist!  Camee is an amazing, strong, outgoing girl with a voice that is INSANE.  She is a powerhouse!  Camee is a vocal coach and a worship leader, and she's a senior at Greenville College (home of AgapeFest)!  I was so excited!!!  (Visit Camee's fan page by clicking HERE!)
 
Then, Crystal was called.  Crystal and I are soul sisters.  We have a love of hair accessories and our precious puppies.  I was so encouraged by Crystal, her drive and her sense of humor all of Saturday.  I was thrilled that Camee and Crystal were moving on!  (Visit Crystal's fan page by clicking HERE!)

Next, Marc was called into the Top 4!  He was standing next to me that night, so I practically strangled him with a hug.  How exciting!  Marc and I graduated from high school the same year, and we were both Homecoming royalty in our high schools.  We've decided that we're going to be Opening Act's Homecoming King and Queen this year, reliving the high school days.  Marc is so talented!  (Visit Marc's fan page by clicking HERE!)

There were four of us left and only one spot remaining in the Top 4.  I knew in my heart of hearts that I was not moving on.  I looked at each of the contestants, beaming with pride at the talent on the stage.  I didn't care if I'd moved on or not at that point.  I was feeling so blessed to have been able to make it to that moment on that stage.  Looking at my friends and family members who had driven the two and a half hours to see me perform that night, I smiled.  What an experience!
 
So, when Jeremiah announce that I was moving on in the competition at a Top 4 Finalist, I was SHOCKED!  Without thinking, I jumped up and down in my 6 inch heels, then turned to hug the other contestants.  As excited as I was for Camee, Crystal, Marc and myself, I was equally as sad for the three remaining.  Tim, Kaitlin and Tabitha have become dear friends.  And it was hard to be excited, knowing there was disappointment on the stage.  Each was incredibly gracious, and I am so proud of them- in character and in talent.  They are amazing, and God has such incredible plans for them! (Visit their fan pages by clicking on their names: Tim Sprinkle, Kaitlin Cleven, Tabitha Cope!)

As individuals filtered out of the auditorium, I had the chance to talk with my family, friends, and other concert-goers!  What an incredible opportunity!  
 
With my daddy.  He has a hard time keeping his eyes open in pictures :)
 
Then, the four of us met with G.W. and The Mark Roach Band for information on the next steps in competition.  Craig took more pictures, and we had a great time congratulating each other and laughing. 
 
 2011 Opening Act Finalists (from left): Camee, Marc, Crystal and myself
 With Finalist, Camee
 With Finalist, Marc
 
As I walked back to the dressing room after the meeting, I ran into Jenny (the lead singer of Addison Road).  I had the opportunity to chat with her a little.  She is amazing, and if you ever have the opportunity to see Addison Road in concert...  DO IT.  They're incredible.  I feel so blessed to have been able to share the same stage with such a phenomenal band. 

With Jenny from Addison Road

When I finally got out of Central Christian Church that evening (and after I uncovered my car from the 3 inches of snow that had fallen that day), I had the pleasure of meeting my friends and family at Applebees near our hotel.  Tim joined us too!  I felt so blessed that so many individuals had driven all that way just to support me.  We had an incredible time!

That night, laying in my bed at the hotel, my sister, Kirsten, my cousin, Nicky, and I talked about the day.  I told them about laughing with the girls and drawing pictures with the kids.  In addition, we talked about meeting Addison Road and the next steps of the competition.  As I turned off the light near my bed, I closed my eyes and thanked my amazing Father for the opportunity.  

It's for worship I was made.  And it's worship that I'll continue to do.
For Him.

In His Love,
Lex <3

P.S.  Online voting starts April 11th at www.wibi.org/contestants!  Please tell everyone you know! 



No comments:

Post a Comment