Thursday, March 17, 2011

Birthday Girl!



Today is my 27th birthday.

I didn't wake up feeling older, so that may be a good thing.

Do you remember when you were younger, and waking up on your birthday was all about KNOWING that it was YOUR special day?  Me too.  As a St. Patrick's Day baby, my head-to-toe green outfit had been picked out weeks in advance.  And going to sleep on March 16 was so difficult.  March 17 was MY day!

Getting older, I was under the impression that would continue.  I thought I'd wake up and think, "Great!  Today is perfect!"  I'm not sure what sort of delusional state I was in, but it wasn't that way.  I'd end up going to bed at the end of the day feeling let down.

I think we have a tendency to do that with people in our lives as well.  We'll build someone up so much and expect them to be PERFECT, so we end up completely disappointed when we realize that they're human.  They're flawed, just like everyone else.  Birthdays are important, but they're just one day.  And they're not going to be flawless.  And neither are those in our lives.

Once we take that view, birthdays get a lot better.  We learn to expect less and appreciate more.

I think that it's the same way with people.  We expect too much, sometimes, of those around us.  And we expect too much of ourselves, at times, as well!  We need to give ourselves and those around us a little room to be flawed.  A little room to be human.  A little room to be a regular day...

I think, once we do that, we'll find that those people and our birthdays will be full of unexpected surprises.  They may not be perfect, but they'll be special.  And I think that's the point.

Happy St. Patricks Day!

In His Love,
Lex <3

P.S.  If you want to bring flowers and gifts to the Addison Road concert next week, I wouldn't be mad...  Just kidding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment