Sunday, February 20, 2011

Love is patient. Love is kind. Blah, blah, blah...

This week, I learned that love is hard.  I know, I know...  With the experiences I've had in the last several years, I should've known that by now, right?  Well, apparently I forgot.

1 Corinithians 13 talks all about love.  It says what love should be.  We've all heard it a million times.  However, this week, I really thought hard about what love shouldn't be.  In verses 7-8 of that particular chapter, it says this, "...love always protects, always hopes, always trust, always perseveres.  Love never fails."  And as I was tempted to give in my my anxiety, fears and insecurity about my own relationships this past week, God revealed the following to me...

He made sure that I knew that those verses didn't say: "Love is anxious.  Love fears.  Love doubts.  Love gives up when it gets hard."  And it most definitely didn't say, "Love means just deciding to not keep showing someone how much you care because they're not the most deserving of it at that particular moment in time."  Nope, that's not at all what it says.

At times, it's easier for us to give up, isn't it?  It's easier to just throw in the towel and to cut our losses and just move on.  While I'm not saying that, in some situations, that isn't the best idea, I AM saying that love is WORK. Hard work.  While that may seem like a "DUH!" moment for you, it was a poignant lesson for me.

Believe it or not, I am human!  Crazy, right?!  And being human means that we are flawed.  Though I attempt to make myself appear the least flawed that I possibly can on a daily basis, it's quite obvious.  I'm not perfect.  [To those of you who are shocked, I'm sorry... :) ]

So...  Here's what I have to say...  Love isn't always easy.  And it's not necessarily always fun.  But, it IS worth it.

How will YOU make love an action instead of a feeling in your own life today?

In HIS (perfect and unfailing) Love,
Lex <3

No comments:

Post a Comment