Thursday, May 12, 2011

Dancing In the Moonlight...

Let's take a little journey down memory lane...

The warm weather turnaround here in central Illinois has had me thinking.  As I walked out of my house this morning to head to my car on my way to work, I took in the humid, warm weather.  It reminded me of a warm July day last summer.

My best friend and I decided to attend the 4th of July celebration in downtown Springfield.  We sat on the lawn of the Capitol Building with our families and prayed for no rain.  After all, rain would put a damper on our activities.  As everything was held outside, the rain would have ruined all of our fun.

We walked around, from food stand to food stand, visiting with friends we bumped into along the way.  We stopped to take pictures and to listen to the music, provided in part by WIBI!

However, a little later in the evening, the dreaded rain came.  Not only did it rain- it POURED.  Individuals were huddling under tents and running for cover in all directions.

Sporting a lovely white outfit with tiny red stripes, I decided to bolt for a tent.  Unluckily for me, the side of the tent I was standing under decided to be the side that hosted to run-off from the rain.

I had two choices:
1) I could get upset that I was getting rained on.  After all, I'd taken the time to get ready.  I'd avoided the dirt and tried to stop the sweat forming on my brow throughout the afternoon.  Then, the rain ended up ruining all the activity, and I was cold and sopping wet!
OR...
2) I could enjoy it.  I could welcome the cool water as a break from the hot, humid weather I'd been in all day.  I could take the chance to dance in the rain while other people stood under tents, not enjoying the moment.

I took one look at my best friend, and I could tell we were both thinking the same thing.  "Let's go."

And we left the tent to dance in the rain.

Despite the stares and the unbelieving eyes, I found myself enjoying the rain that I'd so carefully avoided.  I was completely soaked, and I didn't care.

It was such a freeing feeling.  Just letting go.

Tristen (left) and myself (right with no face) dancing in the moonlight :)

How many times have you been able to do that?  Just let go, I mean.  Life's given us all some pretty not-great situations, but it's all about how you respond.

Instead of being upset, learn to dance in the rain and the darkness.

It's been said that life is 10% what happens to you, and it's 90% how you react to it.

I'm learning to dance in the moonlight and in the rain, rather than crying in the darkness.

How will YOU dance your way through the rain in your life today?

In His Love,
Lex <3

No comments:

Post a Comment